What are you working toward this year? Is it something personal, professional, health related or family related? Have you even thought about it?
If you could narrow it down to one sentence, what would it be?
What about one WORD?
I’ve been in the journaling community for nearly 2 years now, and have LOVED running across pictures of spreads with their “Word of the Year.” The key to conquering anything is FOCUSING on ONE thing – this is crucial to succeeding in anything you are working towards. Think about a time where you were working towards a goal..
You HAD to focus. You had to try. You had to plan on success. There was no giving up.
It’s sad to see nowadays when people say they WANT to do something one day.. But there is no plan in place to get there!
How to Take Charge of your Goals
Here’s how to set up your own plan – and work towards crushing it:
- Sit down and actually take a pen to paper and write down what you want to do in your ideal life. What do you want to achieve? Write down EVERYTHING. Keep writing until you just can’t think anymore.
- Once you are finished, review this list and pick ONE thing. Choose one manageable goal from this list, and make a plan. (Do not throw away the list!)
- Now pick a date. Seriously — pick a reasonable date on your calendar, and set it. Tell yourself it’s going to happen.
- Work backwards. Break this LARGE thing into smaller more feasible steps. Set dates here too!
- Now take the very first step and break it down even further – into actual deadlines. Mark them down (on a calendar, list or elsewhere), and put this somewhere you will see it EVERY DAY.
- Now PUSH yourself to meet these deadlines. Make sure you reevaluate along the way – at LEAST weekly. Adjust as needed. If you follow a plan and know what you NEED to do to get there, there’s nothing stopping you except for yourself.
This does take motivation and determination – but you HAVE to keep asking yourself WHY you want it. How will you feel once it’s accomplished? You will certainly feel accomplished and you can do anything you put your mind to.
This is why so many people sign up for half-marathons, 5K’s and marathons super early – they can plan ahead, set a plan, follow their plan & conquer race-day.
What's My Word?
This year, I’ve chosen my word “STRENGTH” for a number of reasons.
- STRENGTH for my Family: Some of you know that I lost both of my parents back in my early-mid twenties to cancer… which has left me to care for my 14-years younger brother. He’s 16 now, but sometimes it’s SO hard and I ask myself WHY US?! But, I keep telling myself to remain strong, and everything will work out in the end.
- STRENGTH for my Health: I’m focusing back on my health and strengthening my actual physical body – I lost about 35 pounds a few years ago, and since then it’s started creeping back up. I feel SO much better when I’m focusing on fitness and nutrition, and I want to get back into the groove. I’m planning to start Beachbody’s 80 Day Obsession on Monday & I’ve NEVER completed a program like this, so it’s time to practice what I preach. I’ve GOT to stay in line with my own goals to better myself and feel amazing again!
- STRENGTH for my Career: I’m always trying to juggle between my full-time job, and my passion in blogging. I need the strength to stay confident in both, and know that if I keep pushing myself, I will get to where I want to be. I need the strength to say NO once in a while when I’m feeling overloaded. And I need strength to believe in my decisions and stand up for myself.
I’ve decided that this whole “word of the year” thing is more than just a word – it’s a commitment. Take it seriously, and you’ll only go up from here!
Sometimes all it takes is a reminder. Remind yourself WHY you want this. This is where your WORD really comes into play. Pinning your steps and goals up on the wall is one thing, but actually wearing it daily acts as a constant reminder of why.
I ran across the MyIntent.org brand when browsing through social media, and instantly fell in love. Their mission is to get everyone to have the continual reminder of their own word. They make jewelry with YOUR personal word, and I instantly knew I needed one with my word “Strength”.
I’ve since become an official MyIntent Maker, and I’m now creating bracelets with YOUR custom words.
I’m not saying a simple bracelet will improve every aspect of your life – but a simple showcase of your focus can’t hurt, right?!
I love that many of the planning & journaling community already has their words – and I recently asked my Facebook group members, journal-blogger friends, and Instagram followers their own words and created a journal spread FULL of your words. Watch the video below to learn a little bit more & see me fill the spread up!
I’ve included a TON on this spread to give you some ideas, but if you don’t have a word yet, what’s stopping you?? Let me know yours in the comment section below. I’d love to squeeze it in!