Welcome! I'm Whitney!
I’m Whitney — the voice & content creator for this little part of the web, Life by Whitney. In the past year or so I’ve been trying to get my adult life ‘together’ — as in planned & organized, and I thought I’d share the whole process with you!
Using this journal and creating new, unique, and creative spreads every week is fun and relaxing for me, and it makes me feel like a kid again. I used to have several notebooks when I was younger with random drawings, letters, and notes throughout– and now I wish I would have saved them ALL!
So today, I love the idea of tracking my life, but I am also completely in LOVE with technology. This blog is focused on encompassing both, and I hope to inspire your inner creative kid to come out again too!
``I started this website to introduce others to the creative methods I use to organize my life...``
I’ve always loved keeping life’s memories from new and unique places… whether it be a restaurant menu, a matchbox, a cardboard coaster or a cocktail napkin. But after I get them home, I don’t know what to do with ’em!
I love the idea of keeping all of my life in one place. And I feel like I used to be a creative kid, but then I had to start being a responsible adult…. so I haven’t spent time in the creative world for while, but this is where the journal comes in…
So, why did I want to start this journal — and why do I go so crazy creating new, unique layouts?
- When I was younger, I was into scrapbooking thanks to my grandmother and aunts. It helped me express my creative side, while preserving memories.
- In high-school and through the beginning of college, I kept up with a calendar that I would write down whatever I did that day — and I even went as far as to color code it (food, events, birthdays, sports, fitness, school, etc..) Once smart phones were invented, I just converted to everything digital!
- I’ve always been a tracker… I check-in everywhere I go (thanks Swarm), I track my weight at least once a week, I save all of my tickets to anything, I collect brochures, menus, I track what food I eat (Foodspotting), and on and on…
- Also, I was a member of the yearbook staff in high school. I think this is where I get my “layout” knowledge from. I remember our teacher making sure we had no white space in the middle of our layouts, and this ALL comes together when I think of the creative layouts.
- I’ve pretty much always been a computer junkie… and Excel has been my best friend since I knew it existed. I’m a math and numbers person, so when I found out all it could do, I’ve been an Excel nerd ever since. I’ll use it for anything and everything. I still use Excel (or Google sheets) for a lot in life, and now, I use it to design my spreads.
- Back in 2014, I started a food blog: That Square Plate. It helped me TRACK all the recipes I cooked, and keep them in one place, while satisfying my techie side, and building my own creative space online. But blogging takes a lot of work. And with my food-blogging, I felt like I had a never-ending to-do list. And I started trying new ways to keep up with everything, and getting a good schedule for blogging (since I have a full-time job + a younger brother I take care of..). It’s just hard to find the time.
In July, 2016, I discovered the Bullet Journal® and decided I needed to start keeping track of my OWN life in a notebook. With it, I could keep up with EVERYTHING — my plans, trackers, lists, designs, ideas, and more! Surely this could keep me on track with my food blog…
Or maybe I’d become to obsessed with the journal, that I could create a whole blog around THAT (and neglect my poor old food blog). Anyways, that’s how all this started, and I hope you’ll continue to follow along on my life’s journey — planned or not!
I hope, if anything, you find a hint of inspiration here. After all, you are the ones who keep me going!
p.s. I LOVE Instagram (@lifebywhitney). I’m constantly finding neverending inpiration, and I love sharing what I see. I’ve created themed Inspiration Galleries on the site for themed journal spreads, and I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback.